Nissan Qashqai To Get Semi-Autonomous Tech - Nissan Rogue Sport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Nissan Qashqai To Get Semi-Autonomous Tech

Called ProPilot, Nissan Motor Co. has been developing this new autonomous technology and it will soon be making an appearance in the 2017 Qashqai.

The latest version was recently unveiled and it’s sporting a new ‘V-motion’ grille and bumper similar to that of the Maxima and Murano. Some may wonder why it looks like the Rogue Sport and that’s because the new Qashqai is a slightly updated version of its Stateside sibling.

Aside from the sporty and modern front facia with new ‘boomerang’ daytime running lights, not much seems to have changed around the rear except for a few styling tweaks to make it more appealing.

What’s most interesting about the new Qashqai is Nissan’s new semi-autonomous ProPilot technology that Autoblog says will be available within this fiscal year. Limited to a single lane, ProPilot can control the vehicle's steering, braking, and acceleration automatically to give drivers the ability to cruise along highways nearly hands-free. Perfect for stop-and-go traffic on highways as it can recognize vehicles in front as well as lane markers.

ProPilot is already available on the Nissan Serena minivan in Japan, meaning the system has been tested in the real world with customers behind the wheel. Once it becomes available in the Qashqai, the feature may be show up in the Rogue Sport later on since they are pretty much the same vehicle.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 03:20 PM

But unfortunately we'll only have the first variation and are unsure of when the second and third will be released. I would much rather have the last variation of it as it'll be possess the most possibilities and features, etc. So that's going to be a tough one.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specv View Post
But unfortunately we'll only have the first variation and are unsure of when the second and third will be released. I would much rather have the last variation of it as it'll be possess the most possibilities and features, etc. So that's going to be a tough one.
Most people are happy enough with how these systems are currently which aid a lot in traffic and that's just about the only situation drivers hate. The rest of the time we're holding the pedal down and enjoy ourselves.

So when car makers are starting from the core pressing issues and working up from their, is it really that bad?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:36 PM

I'd be happy with the first iteration of the ProPilot as it'll be perfect for long road trips and pretty empty stretches of highway. In every other situation, I'd rather be the one driving. I've done fine so far with my own eyes and situational awareness, don't really need autonomous driving to shuttle me around the city.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 02:30 PM

I'm kind of on the fence about it actually. I don't need it and don't really care for it but just knowing that it will be better later on kind of makes me want to have it. I'd feel like I'm missing something if I only have the first variant of ProPilot and then the second and third come out...?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 01:34 PM

Ear;y adopters are usually the beta testers for new systems in the real world. There are those who are willing to wait for the technology to advance further and there are those who want the newest gadget. I fall into the latter I suppose though it's only available in the 2018 Rogue SL Platinum Package and that costs just under $35,000. Not sure if I willing to pay the price.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page