ProPilot To Appear In The Next Gen Qashqai - Nissan Rogue Sport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

ProPilot To Appear In The Next Gen Qashqai

We’re still a long way away from seeing fully autonomous vehicles at our local dealership, but Nissan wants to make rush hour less tedious for their next gen Qashqai owners with ProPilot.

Nissan is offering the first version of ProPilot, Traffic Jam Pilot, as an option for their popular SUV model and it’s actually affordable.

Takashi Shirakawa, senior vice president of Nissan Technical Centre in Europe, told Auto Express: “In Japan the option (already sold on the Nissan Serena], is around 200,000 Yen ($1,760), so it could sell it for around £1,500 ($1,910) in the UK.”

The ProPilot system will control the vehicle’s acceleration, braking, and steering on a single lane. Essentially it is like an advanced version of cruise control that can track the vehicle on front of it and adjust according.

There will be improved versions down the road as the second and third variations of the ProPilot should be released by the turn of the decade. The second variation will be able to automatically change lanes and overtake vehicles on the highway, while the third will be more city orientated.

Unfortunately, those who purchase a Qashqai with the first version of ProPilot will not be able to upgrade to the newer systems as different sensors are required.

"The second and third generations will use different kinds of sensors. The ProPilot One uses cameras to identify traffic ahead of vehicles, there may be a software in the future, but these cameras cannot allow for more advanced autonomy like overtaking on motorways. Our product is quite different from Tesla's. Tesla is premium price", said Shirakawa.

For now, ProPilot One will be available with the Qashqai, but it’ll be offered across the Nissan range of vehicles in the future.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 03:26 PM

A system that allows you to also overtake on it's own is pretty darn cool to me. I wouldn't mind paying a good premium for an option like that as traffic where I am typically sucks. Heck the first version would be good enough but I would love the more upgraded advanced variations as well.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 01:37 PM

the fact you can't upgrade via over the air update or even just through uploading the software due to sensors being different is a downside to me.
what if this first iteration turns out to be a flop and full of issues?? then we'll be stuck either living with it or going through all the back and forth to get the issue resolved.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:48 PM

That is the biggest problem that I see. It's either I wait for the one that has the third version or I take the one with the first rendition of it and risk dealing with ****. At least by the last rendition, majority of the kinks of the prior 2 should be worked out and it's just the last one that'll be working it out. I'll have all the features, and not kick myself for wanting the rest because I settled early.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 03:30 PM

Hm... Well I guess it's time to see how long of an in-between will be for the different version.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 01:08 AM

I think the first version release is more for Nissan's benefit, for them to find out how it performs in the real world in the hands of the average driver. But they'll have to make the option pretty cheap to appeal to buyers, especially if they can't upgrade to the 2nd and third phase.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 03:33 PM

I can't really see them telling people about the 2nd and 3rd upgrade when selling them though of course. Instead of even calling it level 1, they'll just explain what it is and call it a day. Wonder how much a feature like this could affect the price.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 04:04 PM

Telling them that would be like telling them "Don't buy this one yet, wait until the final version"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeQ View Post
I can't really see them telling people about the 2nd and 3rd upgrade when selling them though of course. Instead of even calling it level 1, they'll just explain what it is and call it a day. Wonder how much a feature like this could affect the price.
It's not going to impact pricing to any extent that any of us should be concerned about since broken down month to month it really won't matter. Then they have the price range a vehicle in this segment is expected to be within. Very short range for it to sit in.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 01:40 PM

Ah, that is true. They have to ensure a competitive range regardless of all of the fancy knick-knacks they drop in there otherwise it would be a bust. Now I guess it's just time to see how these functions perform out there and if you're willing to wait for the last revision.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page