Does the engine automatically shut off if you inadvertently leave it running? - Nissan Rogue Sport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Does the engine automatically shut off if you inadvertently leave it running?

Can't find answer in owner's manual. Anybody know?
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:00 AM

Great Question! I would say, IMO that the engine will not shut off until the gas is depleted. (These engines do not not have cylinder de-activation. A good thing IMO.) They have the electric fans on the radiator that turn on to lower the water temp for such an event. There are times when idling times could be long....traffic delays etc. I doubt you can lock yourself out of the vehicle w/the the key in the ignition with or without the engine running. (Maybe w/another transmitter key?) You'd have to work on it. But another key/magnetic lock box, have it programmed @ lock dealer and hide it somewhere on the underside. (Just in case you lose the key.) Have not seen this in the owner's manual as well.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Great Question! I would say, IMO that the engine will not shut off until the gas is depleted. (These engines do not not have cylinder de-activation. A good thing IMO.) They have the electric fans on the radiator that turn on to lower the water temp for such an event. There are times when idling times could be long....traffic delays etc. I doubt you can lock yourself out of the vehicle w/the the key in the ignition with or without the engine running. (Maybe w/another transmitter key?) You'd have to work on it. But another key/magnetic lock box, have it programmed @ lock dealer and hide it somewhere on the underside. (Just in case you lose the key.) Have not seen this in the owner's manual as well.
Strongly agree with him.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchman View Post
Can't find answer in owner's manual. Anybody know?
I haven't experimented with it, but if you have the push button start, it should shut off once, or shortly after, it detects the key is out of range. I know that is how most push button start cars are.

Now if you have a standard key, then I would go no, it will run until it runs out of gas.

I bought a car, and it turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I know that is how most push button start cars are.
Do you know which brand actually does this? AFAIK, most push button start do NOT shut off if the engine is left running as a fail safe.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YS78 View Post
Do you know which brand actually does this? AFAIK, most push button start do NOT shut off if the engine is left running as a fail safe.
I was mistaken on this, I spoke to a friend of mine who has a newer Camaro with push button and he started the car while he was in it and then got out and while he was outside of the car, his wife drove off. I admit I was mistaken on the shutoff.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:35 PM

Garage
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ngine-shutoff/

Toyota is adding auto shut-off to some of their 2020 model year cars.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page