Winter Tires - Page 2 - Nissan Rogue Sport Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

All season ires are fine if you don't get a lot of snow but a winter set will always beat out a 4 season set.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 05:52 PM

But if it gets really cold then you're in trouble, those all season tires will freeze and lose traction. Good luck braking
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 04:43 PM

It's always better and safer to have a set of winter tires. I got into a few accidents driving all season tires in winter, so I don't want to take risks anymore.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanH View Post
It's always better and safer to have a set of winter tires. I got into a few accidents driving all season tires in winter, so I don't want to take risks anymore.
All Seasons can be fine it just depends on a number of factors; road conditions, temperature, tire model, tire pressure, the list goes on. Point is under the right conditions you can get away with it.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 01:40 PM

I agree, but in my case where I live, you just can't drive without a set of winter tires... Winters here are pretty tough.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Every year is the same, the first snow falls and everyone panics with last minute tire changes. I assume even the cheapest set of winter tires could still handle better than a set of all seasons in the snow. So the exact brand is really up to you, though some are better than others.

StanH likes this.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualis View Post
Every year is the same, the first snow falls and everyone panics with last minute tire changes. I assume even the cheapest set of winter tires could still handle better than a set of all seasons in the snow. So the exact brand is really up to you, though some are better than others.

No doubt that even cheap winter tires better than all-seasons, but sometimes it's just a waste of money because after the first winter season they will be worn out.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanH View Post
No doubt that even cheap winter tires better than all-seasons, but sometimes it's just a waste of money because after the first winter season they will be worn out.
In that case you have to ask how important your safety is to you because $600 spent now on just winter tires can save you thousands and weeks from taking care of your medical needs. So you can see that as a small fee to better ensure your safety.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:19 PM

Excellent posts and replies! Absolutely get winter tires if your driving conditions warrant it! I did so for the first time on my 05' Focus last yr. Needed to buy extra rims (Used $100) and Michelin X-Ice's from DTD. (With the rebates from 3 different sources, very, very reasonably $.) Should have done sooner. Well-worth the piece of mind and the extra measure of safety it provides. (ALSO, consider going slightly narrower width but keeping diameter/load ratings very close.) BTW...the Michelin's IMO (and I haven't driven on other winter tire brands) are superb.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 11:27 AM

Does anyone have any experience with Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail tires? Mine has the OEM Yoke (JOKE?) GeoLander G055 on them and no real traction or handling on wet, ice, snow, or slush. The reviews I'm seeing on these are pretty good and they really seem to be an excellent TPSF rated tire, with great handling on dry roads and a decent ride. Price is pretty well within my budget and they even have the size I need (215/65/16 on steel wheels for my model S AWD).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page