Factory Air Filter 7.5k mi. Very Dirty! - Nissan Rogue Sport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Factory Air Filter 7.5k mi. Very Dirty!

Today I checked the air filter on our 2017 Sport. I have never seen such a dirty/black sooted filter after only 7.5k mi. and 19 months since bought new. I was very surprised. (We don't drive on dirt roads and live not in a big city.) I highly suggest you check yours @ 10K mi. +/-. It's really easy to change out the filter and after you do it the first time you'll have no problems in the future. I put in a new Wix Gold 200215. ( White pleats on the Wix as compared to the factory yellow median which may be oiled?) Just a heads up.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Correction: Napa Gold 200215. (Which is a Wix.)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:20 AM

I finally figured out how to access the air filter. 8 months 14,500 kilometres. The air filter was very dirty. Top half of the filter was almost black. It is going to be changed out with tomorrow's oil change. My wife has to park the Qashqai in a dirt parking lot that is dusty.

It must be the design. The airbox and filter is very small and the filter is mounted vertically. The air and any debris blow directly onto the top part of the filter. On my jeep, the filter is mounted horizontally and the air comes from below the filter. Any heavy debris enters and collects in the bottom of the large airbox and there is less clogging of the filter.

When i pulled out the Qashqi filter, some of the crap fell off the filter. You have to make sure the crap does not fall into and get left on the clean side and get sucked in the engine when you replace the filter.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:11 PM

My wife took the car to dealer for the oil change yesterday. They charged her for a bunch of unnecessary work including doing a complete brake fluid exchange for an 8 month car with only 14k km (!), but claimed there was no need to for an air filter replacement which was so obviously dirty. I was pretty angry. I could tell they did not even open the air filter cover because the only fingerprints and wipe marks on the dusty cover were from me from the night before. When I talked to the manager, he said the schedule does not require air filter change but claimed that the battery was tested by checking at the terminals. There was a thin layer of dust on the battery and it had not been touched. For the price they charged, it would be cheaper for me to buy a new battery every six months. He admitted all the work except the oil change was optional and not required to maintain warranty. Things did get resolved. We will get a free air filter and the next two oil changes are free.

Last edited by funpig; 06-21-2019 at 01:14 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

I would be very leery taking my car to such a dealer! First off, the brake fluid is 2 yrs. Why they would do it @ 8 months? Saying they performed a service and not doing it, no credibility in their word. The air filter (Fram CA11858 $11-13) is an easy DIY. Also, be sure to change out your cabin air filter. My second yr. oil/filter and state inspection is coming up in a few months. I'll be very clear to the dealer not to do anything else. I'll provide my own filter/oil and the service writer said they'll charge $12. (Maintaining a record for new car warranty reason for not DIYing.) BUT, if they do something not to my liking, they'll only see the car for a state inspection. Brake fluid exchange I'll do. Glad you got some future services. Change out that air filter at the interval you're comfortable with now that you know how it looks @ 14k km.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:06 AM

How do you access the air filter? It seems there is a whole cover needs to be remove. It covers the entire battery as well.
Any video on this? Most of the video online do not have the battery covered, so must be a different model.
Thanks
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:18 AM

added picture of engine. area marked X covered the battery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USC70NIS173B021025.jpg (166.0 KB, 3 views)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Yes, you will have to remove. On the air filter box there's latches on the side which need to be unhinged. On the right side of the piece you pictured w/X, there's a tab you have free in order to lift up. (As well as the tab on top of the filter box.) It should just slide up and give access to the filter. Not hard at all and once you do it once you should have no problem doing again.