2018 Motor Trend SUV Contender - Nissan Rogue Sport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

2018 Motor Trend SUV Contender

Nissan's Rouge Sport made it onto the list for 2018 Motor Trend SUV of the Year contest. It'll be up against a few other hard hitters and I honestly don't think it'll take home the award as much as I like the car. Thoughts?

OTHER 2018 SUV OF THE YEAR CONTENDERS:

Audi Q5
BMW X4
Buick Encore
Buick Envision
Chevrolet Equinox
Jeep Compass
Maserati Levante
Mazda CX-5
Mercedes-Benz GLC Coupe
Volkswagen Tiguan
Volvo V90 Cross Country
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 11:45 AM

It seems like Rogue will have a tough time against such serious competitors. As for me, the most powerful contenders would be Audi, BMW, and Maserati. Anyways, I'm gonna cheer for Nissan!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

A point against the Rouge is its engine output, which will definitely seem lacking compared to something from Maserati and they seem to have written it off already.
For an overall well rounded package that's still affordable, maybe the Mazda CX-5 is the one.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 04:40 PM

I wonder how will they decide which car is the best. Do they have different categories like: Interior, Exterior, Powertrain etc., or it's going to be Motor Trend readers' voting?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 04:48 PM

Don't know the criteria but from what I have noticed it seems they look for which model made the most significant impact on the market, not just with sales but with innovation, advancements, how it is compared to its immediate rivals, the list goes on. Basically they follow the general consensus of what those that really understand the industry are thinking.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

I'm not sure if the Rouge Sport is really all that innovative even though it is a great daily driver. Maybe the Volvo V90 Cross Country could win, it has the level of luxury people are increasingly looking for and you can take it on some mild adventures.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 04:11 PM

Bad news, guys... Motor Trend has released the list of 2018 SUV of The Year Finalist. Unfortunately, Rogue isn't there. Here is the list of finalists.

Volvo XC60
Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Chevrolet Traverse
Honda CR-V
Land Rover Discovery
Subaru Crosstrek
Volkswagen Atlas

I'm okay with all finalists except Chevy Traverse, In my opinion, there were better SUV contenders than Chevy. What do you guys think?

Last edited by StanH; 11-21-2017 at 04:13 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

I'm more surprised by the Subaru Crosstrek, though it could be due to bias. The front's design has nothing on the Rogue Sport and its acceleration is said to be pretty slow.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 04:35 PM

Agree. I don't like Crosstrek design too, however, I really respect its amazing CVT transmission and off-road capabilities, in my opinion it's way better than Nissan's.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

It may have a better approach angle, but the Subaru Crosstrek paid for it in front bumper design, which looks odd to me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page