Rogue Sport vs Crosstrek AWD comparison - Nissan Rogue Sport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Rogue Sport vs Crosstrek AWD comparison

I think the only real competitor is Crosstrek, at least for my since I'm trying to prove RS can be as good as Crosstrek in terms of off road mods... and this video was really cool to watch and see that even though RS doesn't have full time AWD system it still not far behind the Trek
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:24 PM

This video shows what happens when an AWD system (in the Kia) can't handle the slippery conditions:

Having a full time 4WD system is not such a big deal imo. The Crosstrek is something like 60/40 front/rear under normal conditions. The Nissan is 100/0. What is most important is how well it reacts when there is a loss of traction. And if there is the ability to lock the AWD, you should be able to tackle most slippery conditions. I have a Jeep with Selec-Trac which allows me to select 2WD, part-time or full-time 4WD and 4-Lo for serious rock-crawling. 95% of the time I am in 2WD. I only used full-time when it snows. I have only needed to use part-time (which is when both F/R is locked) one time in ten years when I parked off-road and one tire was hanging over a ditch. I have never used the 4-Lo.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:27 AM

What is really interesting about the QQ-Sportage video is when a front and a rear tire is slipping at the same time. The Sportage must have an open front and open rear differential. Even when the Sportage AWD is locked and sending torque equally between front and back axles, all the power ends up going to the tire with no traction, so the car goes nowhere. In the case of the QQ, the power is being sent to the tire with traction. This can be done mechanically by a limited slip differential under a traditional 4x4s. I assume that Nissan must be doing it electronically which ties in with the Intelligent Trace/Ride Control. Not bad for an affordable cross-over.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 12:15 PM

Oops. Rewatched sportage. In locked AWD, it was also able to get traction. It is only in auto AWD that the sportage failed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page