Nissan Rogue Sport Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there everyone!! quick question for everyone on here. its time to change my cvt fluids but im am 100% unsure on how many qts go in my car. does anyone have a answer for this. because ive been searching every where with no luck. please and thank you!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hello! Great question...we own a 2017 but I wasn't planning on doing a fluid change (w/a pan drop) until after the warranty is up. We don't drive too much and the car should be around 25k miles. Perfect time/miles to do this. I made a custom dipstick which gave me a cold/hot measurement. (This is naturally assuming the factory fill is at the correct level, which I assume to be correct because the transmission is working perfectly.) I bought the fluid....Idemitsu CVTF-3N. From my research, Idemitsu Safety Data sheet states Nissan Genuine CVT Fluid NS-3. Thus, I believe this is the factory fill fluid. I won't know how much drains till I do this service, but I'll venture a guess of 3-4 qts. I won't change out the strainer but will clean the magnets and pan. Depending on the condition of the fluid, I may change out the external filter. This shouldn't be all that difficult at all. You could also drain out the fluid cold and put in the exact same amount. (Leave the bottles of CVT fluid in the same spot as the car so the temp will be the same.) I'm not sure if there's an overflow port to measure the fluid at the temp recommended by Nissan. It's been a while since I looked into this but when the time comes nearer, I'll refresh my mind. It's a shame, but I don't believe the Nissan dealer will do a pan drop! (And probably tell you to wait for a longer time/mileage that optimal.) It will be another 20 months before I do this service on our RS, but I will report and post then. BTW, I'm very curious about the amount of metal shaving/fuss on the magnets and the condition of the fluid!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello! Great question...we own a 2017 but I wasn't planning on doing a fluid change (w/a pan drop) until after the warranty is up. We don't drive too much and the car should be around 25k miles. Perfect time/miles to do this. I made a custom dipstick which gave me a cold/hot measurement. (This is naturally assuming the factory fill is at the correct level, which I assume to be correct because the transmission is working perfectly.) I bought the fluid....Idemitsu CVTF-3N. From my research, Idemitsu Safety Data sheet states Nissan Genuine CVT Fluid NS-3. Thus, I believe this is the factory fill fluid. I won't know how much drains till I do this service, but I'll venture a guess of 3-4 qts. I won't change out the strainer but will clean the magnets and pan. Depending on the condition of the fluid, I may change out the external filter. This shouldn't be all that difficult at all. You could also drain out the fluid cold and put in the exact same amount. (Leave the bottles of CVT fluid in the same spot as the car so the temp will be the same.) I'm not sure if there's an overflow port to measure the fluid at the temp recommended by Nissan. It's been a while since I looked into this but when the time comes nearer, I'll refresh my mind. It's a shame, but I don't believe the Nissan dealer will do a pan drop! (And probably tell you to wait for a longer time/mileage that optimal.) It will be another 20 months before I do this service on our RS, but I will report and post then. BTW, I'm very curious about the amount of metal shaving/fuss on the magnets and the condition of the fluid!
So after a long extensive search I finally got some good numbers. The RS transmission(when empty) fills up with 7.8 qts. So we should need around 4-5 qts for the change. Guess I'll just use a empty milk jug to measure how much comes out so I can replace it with the right amount. What your opinion on this?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Put the car on ramps in the evening and next morning drain the fluid. Leave 5 bottles of transmission fluid next to the car so the temperature is the same. Measure and replace the same amount. I'd do a pan drop as well so you can clean the magnets and pan. I'm doubtful more than 4 qts will come out but just in case have another milk jug container handy as these are only 1 ga. (4 qts.) This will definitely prolong the transmission service life as long as you use NS-3 fluid. This is assuming the factory fill is the correct amount. Keep us posted!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts