Nissan Rogue Sport Forum banner

Bike Racks - Hatch Mounted

11K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Joe Schweigert 
#1 ·
Anyone used a bike rack on their Sport?

I have a hatch mounted one with straps for top, side and bottom and not sure if I cam hook the top straps over the rear spoiler. Don't know if the spoiler is strong enough to hold the rack with 2 or 3 bikes.

#5 ·
Letting this forum know that I did successfully mount a Thule Passage 3 bike rack to my 2015 Rogue Sport. It's definitely not meant for use with the spoiler. I tried it several different ways and saw the spoiler flex when I added 3 bikes to the rack. I also noticed that when I rested the bottom of the rack on the bumper (as recommended by Thule) that when I added the bikes, the rack would push down on the bumper with so much force that the rack would get wedged between the hatch and the bumper.

To make this solution work, I bought two 9' NRS straps and removed the straps from the rack that are intended to clip to the spoiler. I ran the new NRS straps through the top cinches on the rack then ran them up and around the cargo bars and back down to the NRS cinch. The spoiler can easily handle the weight of the NRS straps as long as than ran over the spoiler and didn't clip to it. Without bikes, the hatch will still open and close. Obviously with bikes, the hydraulics of the hatch wouldn't open however the rack is configured.

There was one other huge benefit, I was able to position the rack higher on the hatch (a few inches above the bumper) which prevents the issue of the rack wedging itself between the hatch and the bumper. I used the side hatch and bottom hatch straps that came with the rack so for $10 in NRS straps I was able to confidently get 3 bikes on the back of the Rogue. I've attached a picture.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.