Nissan Rogue Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
We are nearing our 5th yr. of ownership and was planning on doing a CVT fluid refresh. (My wife drives this car around 5k miles a yr.) I've been debating in my mind if I should : (1) Wait till 30k miles, (2) Do a pan drop or (3) just replace some fluid w/o pan drop. I'm very curious on the condition of the magnets in the pan. (I did an pan drop on my '12 Golf and was very surprised just how much metal fuzz was on the magnets @ 29k miles. Aisin 6-sp.) If you're planning on doing the suction method, just do it w/the transmission and replacement fluid @ ambient temperature. Take out 3-4 qt's, put back what you take out. This is assuming the factory put in the correct amount of fluid for an accurate level. As you know, I made my own dipstick which I marked both the cold/hot mark. I'll have to do some more research on how the transmission fluid is checked. (On the other cars I own w/o a dipstick, there's usually a way w/the engine running and hot that one can get the level accurate.) Don't forget these CVT's also have a small little filter which is very easy to change out. I suppose if I drop the drop the pan and not like what I find, I'll change the small filter as well. I also found a diagram showing the pan bolting sequence. This should be not at all difficult. Honestly, the CVT has been flawless. My gut feeling is that the carbon built-up issue w/direct injection engines (and this MR20 DD engine), will need to be addressed in the future. Iceflow & other owners, please do not go more than 5k on an oil change interval. These direct injection engines put fuel in the oil and thin out the oil. (That's why I use a very light 5w-30 oil.) I'll keep you informed and if you could do the same, that would be great. Bill.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sparky, See my other post on this topic. I did an extract and exactly 2 US qts came out. The fact it was exact has me wondering if that is the factory fill.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably easier to just paste in my other post from the CVT Dipstick thread.
Sparky.....I'm very curious....what are the levels on your dipstick? Reason I ask is I'm using a 36" zip tie marked at 24 1/4 inches which I believe is the same length what you have. I'm thinking the sump has only 2 qts in it by design. Can you measure fluid level when vehicle is stone cold and level?

Thanks

Following on from Sparky's updates. Hopefully you are still on the forum. I did an extract at the weekend and can bore you all with the before and after results if you want them. Main points.

I confirm Sparky's dipstick length of 24-1/4 inches is what I required to get sufficient fluid onto the stick for a sensible reading at various temperatures, stone cold, driven to op temperature, engine running, engine off, cool down then check etc.etc.
The dipstick on Amazon was nowhere near long enough for my Rogue Sport. Either the factory fill varies considerably or that dipstick on Amazon is not long enough.
I ended up using a 36 inch zip tie with masking tape placed at 24-1/4 inches from the end.
Fluid was a mid chocolate brown and smelled like heavy industrial oil, not burning smell. Smelled like it would still do the business. Car as 56K miles on it.
I extracted through 'charging port' and once the extracted fluid was at the same temperature as the new fluid, I replaced exactly what I had pulled. I then went through the same warm up process using the same road route I had used on the initial warm up and dipstick readings to match the original readings.

Just FYI this would not get anywhere near a fluid reading.

www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: labwork CVT Transmission Oil Level Indicator Dipstick Gauge 31086-JA00A Fit for 2006- and up Maxima Murano / 2007- and up Altima Quest / 2013- and up Roque : Automotive
Buy labwork CVT Transmission Oil Level Indicator Dipstick Gauge 31086-JA00A Fit for 2006- and up Maxima Murano / 2007- and up Altima Quest / 2013- and up Roque: Hard Parts - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts