Nissan Rogue Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have to say I really enjoy doing minor maintenance of all our cars. Oil/filter changes are easy on most and I like to know the job was done properly. (Of the few times I've taken in to dealer or major repair shop for an oil/filter change the oil filter was put on WAY too tight as well as the drain plug.) The only minor nuance is taking off the plastic shield which is held on by 4000 snap on plugs. Other than that, easy peasy. Changed out factory fill @ 6months w/ENEOS 0w-20 oil/Wix filter. 1 yr. is coming up and I'll have dealer do w/the oil/filter I bring in. Curious to see their work 6 months later when I do the next oil/filter change. IF you do your own, what oil and filter are you using?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used to do this kind of maintenance all the time by myself, but unfortunately I don't have a garage to do it in anymore. SAE 0W-20 is the listed oil and I generally like to go with a better brand of filter. The PS-1008 pro series from K&N is only $8.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have to say I really enjoy doing minor maintenance of all our cars. Oil/filter changes are easy on most and I like to know the job was done properly. (Of the few times I've taken in to dealer or major repair shop for an oil/filter change the oil filter was put on WAY too tight as well as the drain plug.) The only minor nuance is taking off the plastic shield which is held on by 4000 snap on plugs. Other than that, easy peasy. Changed out factory fill @ 6months w/ENEOS 0w-20 oil/Wix filter. 1 yr. is coming up and I'll have dealer do w/the oil/filter I bring in. Curious to see their work 6 months later when I do the next oil/filter change. IF you do your own, what oil and filter are you using?
We just bought a new Sport at the weekend. I tend to do all my oil changes and have used Castrol Edge with either a K&N or WIX XP. I might have the dealer do the first one. Interesting that the manual calls for a 5K oil change interval and that is running full synthetic, also sump is 4qts with filter change. I go for a 5K interval anyway on all my cars but full synthetic will still be usable at 7,8, or 9K miles. Check out Bob Is the Oil Guy. (BITOG) for the oil gurus on oil life. Sump capacity seems on the small side, my Ford Focus 2 liter is 4.75 qts with filter change.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You made a great choice! The Rogue Sport is a wonderful car. The manual does say 6mo/3750mi OC/filter. When I was @ dealer they said 1yr. 5K mi. is OK. I personally would not go more than 5K miles because of all the short trips taken and mostly city driving. I think Bobistheoilguy is a fantastic website. Learned quite a lot from this site. One thing I'm not comfortable with is using 0w-20 oil. If you do some research on the MR20 engine, you'd see it rated for 5w-30 elsewhere around the planet. CAFE is the only reason for 0w-20 oil. IMO, too thin. One thing about 0w-20 though, very high quality w/good base stock and high viscosity. I'm planning on using 5w-30 or 0w-30 oil in the future. (Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 w/180VI and a good add pack. Moly and Boron. Formula Shell Full Synthetic 5w-30 (Sopus) is an exceptional oil as well.) Be sure to change out the oil @ 6 months or 3750 mi. A larger sump would be nicer for longer OC intervals. But, oil is relatively inexpensive and it's not hard at all to change the oil/filter in this car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You made a great choice! The Rogue Sport is a wonderful car. The manual does say 6mo/3750mi OC/filter. When I was @ dealer they said 1yr. 5K mi. is OK. I personally would not go more than 5K miles because of all the short trips taken and mostly city driving. I think Bobistheoilguy is a fantastic website. Learned quite a lot from this site. One thing I'm not comfortable with is using 0w-20 oil. If you do some research on the MR20 engine, you'd see it rated for 5w-30 elsewhere around the planet. CAFE is the only reason for 0w-20 oil. IMO, too thin. One thing about 0w-20 though, very high quality w/good base stock and high viscosity. I'm planning on using 5w-30 or 0w-30 oil in the future. (Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 w/180VI and a good add pack. Moly and Boron. Formula Shell Full Synthetic 5w-30 (Sopus) is an exceptional oil as well.) Be sure to change out the oil @ 6 months or 3750 mi. A larger sump would be nicer for longer OC intervals. But, oil is relatively inexpensive and it's not hard at all to change the oil/filter in this car.
Interesting stuff on the OCI. I only put 5K as I thought that was what I read in the owners manual. I'll go back an d re-read. I guess I'll have to go with 0/20 whilst it's under warranty but it does seem way too thin, especially in 100 F Houston. I never liked the 5/20 called for our old Mazda 6 but it ran 108K before we sold it and you couldn't hear the engine at idle. I suppose the '20' is what counts at high temps so taht will be no different whether it's 0/20 or 5/20. The Ford Focus also runs 5/20.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is there enough ground clearance to crawl underneath for the oil / filter? I have some ramps anyway but if I can crawl under so much the better.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. You'll need ramps and jack stands. It is an easy job. Be sure to use Nissan washers. I know when I changed out the factory fill @ 6 months, the oil felt the consistency of water. Did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling! I went w/Eneos 0w-20 both at the 6 month and one yr. OC. Have Eneos waiting in line for the third (1 1/2 yr.) OC and after that I haven't decided what oil to use even though I have a stash of Mobil 1 and Pennzoil in waiting. I may end up using Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 because it's a very light 30 weight oil. (This engine has been in production for a long time and in past yrs. it was recommended to use 5w-30/5w-40 weight oil. What changed in the engine design except for US CAFE regulations. The valve train noise is quite loud. Whether 0w-20 oil is a contributing factor remains to be seen that only can answered by the use of 0w-30/5w-30 oil for comparison. This is an excellent engine which isn't too hi-tech. Just like I like. (One other thing I like is that the CVT transmission doesn't seem to "lug" the engine by going into the highest gear at the lowest possible speed like a lot of newer conventional AT's.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I checked the owners manual again and it shows in the 2018 as a 5K miles OCI. So I'll change it according to that, probably when it is a 100 or so miles short of the 5 K.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts