Nissan Rogue Sport Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the technical details and don't see if this one is or not. If the timing chain breaks, is it 'goodbye engine' or just a fairly simple fix (like fixing anything on any modern car is 'simple')? I love the car, but the documentation sucks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
From what I could gather from two websites, I'd say it is an interference engine. Since it has only a 4 qt. oil capacity, I'd personally would go no longer than 5k miles per oil change. AND, please do your engine a favor, forget the 0w-20. (Unless you live in place w/VERY, VERY cold winters.) Use a higher viscosity oil, either a light 5w-30 oil such as Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30. (My last 3 OC's were w/a blend I made using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 and 5w-30. Engine runs much smoother w/less valve train noise. This engine is spec'd for 5w-30 and thicker viscosity everywhere around the globe. IMO, this will help w/the longevity of the timing chain as well...shorter oil change intervals and thicker oil. This is a wonderful driving and very well made small SUV.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, Sparky. I figured it was an interference engine. We live up in Northern NY State where winters are long and cold (did I mention LONG?!). Here it is April 19th and the high today will be a blistering 50. That 0w-20 is suspect in my mind and I'll look to see what's available around here. Now, where the h*ll is the PCV valve? I know there is one, but I can't seem to find an illustration that shows the location.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts