Nissan Rogue Sport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Here is the Nissan IDS Concept that was unveiled at the Tokyo Motor Show. It is an autonomous driving concept that is completely electric, and has a range that is twice that of the Leaf.

Nissan says this is the future of where their cars specifically and cars in general are going—electric and autonomous, zero emissions and zero fatalities. “Two zeroes,” they call it, with autonomous tech on various production cars by 2020.

http://jalopnik.com/the-nissan-ids-concept-has-a-smiling-ipad-screen-that-t-1739155806

·
Registered
363 Posts
Smart move but i'm not surprised to see this since as you can guess by now it's where the whole industry is moving towards for mass market vehicles. With the speed they seem to be moving at it has me wondering if they'll be able to score deals with companies like Uber that will eventually need these vehicles to replace humans.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Smart move but i'm not surprised to see this since as you can guess by now it's where the whole industry is moving towards for mass market vehicles. With the speed they seem to be moving at it has me wondering if they'll be able to score deals with companies like Uber that will eventually need these vehicles to replace humans.
I think that the Uber connection will happen, but those vehicles would be much less fancy than this IDS concept. I think that the Uber vehicles would be more like what the Google Car looks like right now -- smaller and less luxurious.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well Uber is basically a cheaper Taxi with better service. Don't think people would mind the the smaller vehicle and it's actually spacious inside.

They'll probably need a fleet of bigger cars for more than 2 people.

Wonder if Google will team up with an automotive company. Nissan design plus google's self driving system will produce one amazing car.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think that the Uber connection will happen, but those vehicles would be much less fancy than this IDS concept. I think that the Uber vehicles would be more like what the Google Car looks like right now -- smaller and less luxurious.

Indeed, when it comes to basic transportation needs, it will be basic. The Camry, Impala, Crown Victoria, etc. you typically see as cabs aren't all that special. Then of course you have higher end services that to an extent will be automated but at some point will need a human element as part of the service.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just realized that the fold up screen for automated mode int he Nissan IDS had blinking eyes. Some sort of AI in future cars?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just realized that the fold up screen for automated mode int he Nissan IDS had blinking eyes. Some sort of AI in future cars?
More than likely yeah. But what they shown might only represent it in the slightest, not be a complete and full example since they only need so much now to get their point across.

Otherwise we'd probably see more coverage on exactly this.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's the auto pilot. Not simply a mode, but personified.

What do you guys think of the wheel for manual operation?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I would want manual operation and there might be good reasons for having it, if there's a fault in the electrical system and no power can be sent to it, the wheel can be used to turn the vehicle, like any car currently.

·
Registered
225 Posts
But you don't make 90 degree right turns with that. Trying to imagine using that for my daily drive and I can't.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I mean its a concept, right. So I think that there can be refinements or aspects of the technology that aren't immediately visible. Maybe steering technology becaomes better and you don't have to turn the wheel as much to make turns. Who knows.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Steering is all good and well but let's talk about that fold up screen on the dash! It's basically a TV!
Maybe it's a sign that infotainment screens are going to get lot bigger.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steering is all good and well but let's talk about that fold up screen on the dash! It's basically a TV!
Maybe it's a sign that infotainment screens are going to get lot bigger.
Of course they are. The screens are going to span the dash and will have far more entertainment features than they do now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts