Nissan Rogue Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd that the crash test was never posted on this forum. Or at least not that I could find.
Here it is for anyone interested.

I assume that red noodle thrown at the bumper is supposed to be a human. Interesting to see the bumper flex and then bounce back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pedestrian protection does get tested too and the sweet spot is the middle of your bumper. Not saying you should go out and start hitting people but the safest place to do so is in the middle.
Here's the results if you want to see the actual numbers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Pedestrian protection does get tested too and the sweet spot is the middle of your bumper. Not saying you should go out and start hitting people but the safest place to do so is in the middle.
Here's the results if you want to see the actual numbers.
It's odd that the best place to hit them is the center of the bumper because that seems like the place you'd be least likely to hit them. I assume you'd try to turn and avoid them, which would lead to you hitting with the sides of the bumper almost everytime.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You make a good point but I doubt they can do much to increase pedestrian safety in the headlight areas. That's where the safety rating is the poorest.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thought it would come out from the front of the bumper because that's where your legs get swept out from under you but the airbag located near the windshield is goo too.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Seeing that test representing how a pedestrian would fall onto the vehicle surely helps to make sense of the air bag, protecting a vital area... the head.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You're unlucky to get hit by a car, but you'd be lucky to be hit by this particular Volvo vehicle because pedestrian air bags are really not common whatsoever.

Glad that the Qashqai got 5 stars though. I wouldn't completely disregard a vehicle if it didn't have a 5 star rating, but at this point it seems like you shouldn't really be putting a vehicle into production without it living up to the highest measures of safety.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Depends on what they failed in to get that 4 star. Some may not have Safety Assist as standard so they may lose points there while scoring very well in the other categories. I would however, think twice about a car with a poor score in Adult or Child Occupant safety.

·
Registered
363 Posts
You're unlucky to get hit by a car, but you'd be lucky to be hit by this particular Volvo vehicle because pedestrian air bags are really not common whatsoever.

Glad that the Qashqai got 5 stars though. I wouldn't completely disregard a vehicle if it didn't have a 5 star rating, but at this point it seems like you shouldn't really be putting a vehicle into production without it living up to the highest measures of safety.
Well it's part of a whole shift in the industry. While every car may not have it yet, vehicles are being designed with pedestrian safety in mind even if that means no air bags.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Pedestrian air bags make even more sense for self driving vehicles. Those vehicles will have to value pedestrian life and passenger life equally.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do they test for rollover safety? I don't see anything putting pressure on the roof directly.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've seen a video a while ago showing how they put some dye/powder on the dummy and see where on the vehicle it touches in an accident, that might be one way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pedestrian air bags make even more sense for self driving vehicles. Those vehicles will have to value pedestrian life and passenger life equally.
meh they're superficial more then anything. you still just got hit with 300 lbs of steel

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Best pedestrian safety is the kind where drivers pay more attention and pedestrians don't j-walk.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I wonder what speed most pedestrian impacts happen at. Is it slow moving, or do they drive right through them?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I wonder what speed most pedestrian impacts happen at. Is it slow moving, or do they drive right through them?
Well, considering it happens on local streets, around the speed limit is what you can expect some of them to happen or at least up to for overall impacts.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Point taken. I bet that pedestrian impacts happen most often when drivers are making right turns at red lights or stop signs. That and J-walking.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts