Nissan Rogue Sport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Called ProPilot, Nissan Motor Co. has been developing this new autonomous technology and it will soon be making an appearance in the 2017 Qashqai.

The latest version was recently unveiled and it’s sporting a new ‘V-motion’ grille and bumper similar to that of the Maxima and Murano. Some may wonder why it looks like the Rogue Sport and that’s because the new Qashqai is a slightly updated version of its Stateside sibling.

Aside from the sporty and modern front facia with new ‘boomerang’ daytime running lights, not much seems to have changed around the rear except for a few styling tweaks to make it more appealing.

What’s most interesting about the new Qashqai is Nissan’s new semi-autonomous ProPilot technology that Autoblog says will be available within this fiscal year. Limited to a single lane, ProPilot can control the vehicle's steering, braking, and acceleration automatically to give drivers the ability to cruise along highways nearly hands-free. Perfect for stop-and-go traffic on highways as it can recognize vehicles in front as well as lane markers.

ProPilot is already available on the Nissan Serena minivan in Japan, meaning the system has been tested in the real world with customers behind the wheel. Once it becomes available in the Qashqai, the feature may be show up in the Rogue Sport later on since they are pretty much the same vehicle.

·
Registered
76 Posts
But unfortunately we'll only have the first variation and are unsure of when the second and third will be released. I would much rather have the last variation of it as it'll be possess the most possibilities and features, etc. So that's going to be a tough one.

·
Registered
363 Posts
But unfortunately we'll only have the first variation and are unsure of when the second and third will be released. I would much rather have the last variation of it as it'll be possess the most possibilities and features, etc. So that's going to be a tough one.
Most people are happy enough with how these systems are currently which aid a lot in traffic and that's just about the only situation drivers hate. The rest of the time we're holding the pedal down and enjoy ourselves.

So when car makers are starting from the core pressing issues and working up from their, is it really that bad?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'd be happy with the first iteration of the ProPilot as it'll be perfect for long road trips and pretty empty stretches of highway. In every other situation, I'd rather be the one driving. I've done fine so far with my own eyes and situational awareness, don't really need autonomous driving to shuttle me around the city.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm kind of on the fence about it actually. I don't need it and don't really care for it but just knowing that it will be better later on kind of makes me want to have it. I'd feel like I'm missing something if I only have the first variant of ProPilot and then the second and third come out...?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ear;y adopters are usually the beta testers for new systems in the real world. There are those who are willing to wait for the technology to advance further and there are those who want the newest gadget. I fall into the latter I suppose though it's only available in the 2018 Rogue SL Platinum Package and that costs just under $35,000. Not sure if I willing to pay the price.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ear;y adopters are usually the beta testers for new systems in the real world. There are those who are willing to wait for the technology to advance further and there are those who want the newest gadget. I fall into the latter I suppose though it's only available in the 2018 Rogue SL Platinum Package and that costs just under $35,000. Not sure if I willing to pay the price.
The way I see it, there's no point waiting for tech to advance because truth is, it's always going to be advancing. Its part of how car makers and most industries make their money. Waiting and chasing the latest isn't worth it, better off getting what's available now.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's more waiting for everyone else to find the bugs in the new systems than chasing the newest tech because there's bound to be some problems found by early adopters. I'd prefer to skip all that and wait for the next model year when all the problems are fixed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I can't really imagine a vehicle like the Skyline GTR getting autonomous technology, at least not when it's initially released. First will come the autonomous SUVs and crossovers, then we can expect it in sedans before moving on to coupes and sportier cars. Seems more likely than an autonomous GTR from the get go.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just realized that both Rouge Star Wars Ads were designed to highlight the Rouge's autonomous technology including lane keep assist and auto brake when needed.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Not exactly surprised when most car makers are integrating this tech in all, if not, most of their cars. So in one of the most lucrative segments such as this, Nissan has to just to show they are just as well equipped as the next guy. Sportiness and high-tech are big selling points these days and the Rogue fits that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts