Nissan Rogue Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Nissan sells a lot of Qashqais, but it also sells a lot of cameras. The company is boasting that it has installed 1.4 million cameras in Qashqais since 2014.

"Unlike rival systems that rely on radar systems to monitor movement around the car, all three elements of Nissan’s Safety Shield work using data from the rear-view AVM camera providing drivers with exceptional visibility and protection. The safety of our passengers is the number one priority and Nissan’s proactive approach to safety technology is there to assist drivers at all times," said Safety Shield senior engineer Christopher Parke.
Each vehicle that features Nissan's Around View Monitor system has 4 cameras in it. There is also one more camera that is installed in the windscreen.

Nissan believes that it will sell 10 million car cameras by 2020. So when you think about it, Nissan is also a camera company. Nissan is already developing new cameras that will be fitted to headlights and stream footage to the Internet. Those cameras can be seen in the Gripz concept.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/nissan-has-fitted-14-million-cameras-on-qashqai-crossovers-since-2014-video-photo-gallery-103022.html#

·
Registered
225 Posts
Not sure how I feel about streaming my driving footage on the internet but it is interesting when you think about how many cameras Nissan sells. Maybe they will partner up with a camera company in the future like Chevrolet and LG (electric car partnership).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More and more car companies have to become full on tech companies. They will adopt parts into their company or partner with established companies. Will be interested to see how that plays out.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The plus side to this is it will help us out in situations where insurance will have to be involved, always helps to have an extra set of eyes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think that this system is going to be blamed over your own mistake. When Autonomous cars come along though -- that will be interesting.

·
Registered
225 Posts
They haven't figured out who's at fault if two autonomous cars hit. For now, I'd rather install my own dash cam that isn't linked to anything.
Wonder if any car company will partner up with a camera company like canon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Probably the fault of the driver behind the wheel. Think that's the law right now with the advanced cruise control so I can't imagine it being all too different when it's fully autonomous.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Will be great if the front and rear camera can record what it sees so you won't need a separate dash cam but it needs to have the option to completely wipe the recording every day.

Far into the future but one can hope.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There have been a few companies that just came out and said that they would take responsibility for accidents that happen with their autonomous vehicles.

Volvo comes to mind.

·
Registered
363 Posts
For them it will be a small cost to absorb, companies like Google have been openly testing autonomous vehicles for 4+ years now, chances are what they roll out on a production level will have an extremely low failure rate. Also as you can bet they`ll clearly outline specifics on what the vehicles can/cannot do, much like what been happening with tesla recently. With all those Tesla accidents... it still does what it says it does

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does Nissan offer the Around View® Monitor system as an upgrade as well to owners of models that do not have the system. If so where can one find such a service to access it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don;t think you can add it in since that requires installing additional cameras but it's best to ask your dealership about it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
You should be able to add it easily but it just won't be worth the cost, at least to me that's the case, unless you really see yourself with the vehicle for a long time, then it might be worth paying out of pocket for, but typically things like this are far cheaper when installed from the factory.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts