Nissan Rogue Sport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, we are new owners of the QQ here in Canada. On the European/UK forum, there are lots of posts regarding CVT and engine failures in the QQ. Many problems were on the older models and of course they have much different powertrains from the ones in North America. It is possible that there was only a small percentage of failures and very vocal complain$rs They have sold about 3 million QQ in Europe and people still keep buying them.

I am just starting a thread to see if there has been any early powertrain issues with our North American vehicles. We have only been driving our QQ about a week and really like it a lot. Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was leery of CVT transmission after reading of the problems associated w/older Nissan models. I believe many of these failures could have been prevented by changing out the CVT fluid @ 30-50K intervals. Also, I was told by Nissan service writer previous models did not have a transmission cooler. Our Rogue's and your QQ have the newest CVT. Just change out the fluid early and then @ 30K mi. intervals and I have no doubt this transmission will last a long time. Regarding engine failures...Euro models have different engine displacement and turbos. This 2.0L engine is naturally aspired (Excellent) and has variable timing. Should be bullet-proof. Use good oil and do exceed 5K mi. OCI's. Also, a big plus in my book...made in Japan. We really like our Rogue Sport too!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope you're right, Sparky. This is our first new car in over 25 years. We were looking for almost a year at buying a Mazda3, Civic, or a used CX-3, CX-5, HRV, CRV. We walked into the local Nissan dealer on Thanksgiving Monday to test drive the Rogue and ending up buying the QQ on the spot. I really did not know anything about the QQ, just that it looks good, is a smooth ride and the price was right (with year-end discount it was cheaper than a used CX-3). Only started researching after we paid deposit and came home.

We still have a 2001 Accord (285k km), 2002 Grand Cherokee (173k km, my winter car) and a 2002 Miata (100k km, my summer garage queen), each bought used and all with over 10 years of ownership. So we really want this car to last a long time. So the current QQ has an auxiliary trany cooler? If so, where is it?

BTW, check out KYRGYZ's thread on the UK QQ forum: https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6546 . His new RS threw a P050B at 600 miles and required a rebuild at 2000 miles. Yikes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Last time I was under the car, it was 6 months ago doing an oil/filter change and I was not really looking for this cooler. Upon further research, looking at diagrams of this transmission it seems there is a round canister w/inlet and outlet hoses on top of the transmission. This is the transmission cooler. Also, there seems to be cartridge filter which seems to be replaceable. (Excellent!) (There's a strainer filter in the pan as well.) I really think w/an early drain and fill and then subsequent 30k mi. fluid exchanges, this CVT transmission will be trouble free and last a very long time. You made the right decision buying this car! We find it very pleasurable to drive. Most importantly for us, the front seats are exceptionally comfortable. Also, the price really made it an easy decision to buy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I try and look up existing posts with similar discussion and hop on them before creating a new one. Just picked up a 2019 Rogue Sport a couple weeks ago, first new car we've purchased in 15 years (except for the 2019 Nissan Kicks I traded in for it, see my post in Introductions), so we plan to and hope to keep this as long as our 2004 Suzuki XL7 with 278,000 miles and still have, now to be our secondary car with the Rogue Sport taking over its primary duties. I do have concern about the CVT and the Sport's ability to perform in cold weather, two of the main mechanical issues I've heard of the car, but it is a beautiful car and very nice ride, I think this current model's look is still better looking and sleeker than the upcoming 2020, which looks more like the traditional Nissan front end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts