Nissan Rogue Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What would happen if you put the GT-R's engine into the Nissan Qashqai?

Thankfully, the Severn Valley Motorsport "FrankenQai" answers this question, and we have a video to prove it. The FrankenQai, aka the Qashqai R, is a modified Qashqai that has the underpinnings of a very highly tuned Nissan GT-R.

The performance figures for this vehicle are almost unbelievable. The Qashqai R has a horsepower of 1,100 bhp, a 0-62 mph time of 2.7 seconds, a 0-124 mph time of 7.5 seconds, and a quarter mile time of 9.9 seconds. Top speed comes in at a staggering 222 mph!

This video shows the Qashqai R put to the test, driven by the guys at SVM. The testing took place at a recent Vmax event at Bruntingthorpe. Going up against a 950 bhp modified GT-R, it doesn't even look scared.

Other than the new engine (which also was tinkered with), the Qashqai R received a number of modifications.

The Qashqai+2 was mercilessly gutted to its bare shell, around which a jig was built to hold the body in place so nothing moved out of shape. This was then set to one side to marinade.

Step forward a standard MY12 GT-R. The team had no qualms about hacking ‘Godzilla’ to pieces, ripping off the body but keeping the drivetrain and chassis - basically the entire floorpan - intact.

Then, after many inventive swear words, some bludgeoned fingers and herculean quantities of tea, the Qashqai R was birthed: the ‘Qai’s shell was carefully lowered into position on top of the GT-R’s floorpan, and the two were matched shut.

I’m guessing they didn’t stop there.

Nope. SVM thought: ‘Well, we’ve come this far, let’s just tickle the engine a bit’. And so the engine was tickled. And then SVM thought: ‘Well, we’ve come this far, let’s just tickle the engine some more’. And so the engine was tickled some more.

So much more, in fact, that it produces a nice, round 1100bhp. Or perhaps even more.

The 3.8-litre V6 was bored out to 4.1-litres, forged pistons and rods capable of handling 1300bhp were fitted, the whole lot was balanced and treated to SVM cylinder heads, bigger SVM turbos with bigger compressor pipes, high-flow intake pipes, a cat-less stainless steel exhaust, better cooling, motorsport injectors with Veyron fuel pumps, a modified clutch and diff brace, carbon brakes with braided brake lines all round, KW coilover suspension with Eibach anti-roll bars front and rear, new electronics, 20in alloys, and the full interior from the R35 GT-R. Oh, and some Bose audio.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Doesn't sound like it's a Qashqai anymore after being gutted to it's bare shell but holy **** that speed is amazing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, for sure it's not really a Qashqai any more, but that is what makes it so interesting. Similar to the Juke NISMO. It is just a ridiculous vehicle.

·
Registered
225 Posts
They more than doubled the GT-R engine's hp.
What do they plan to do with it now that it's completed? Also, any chance they'll do this mod for willing payers?

·
Registered
363 Posts
They more than doubled the GT-R engine's hp.
What do they plan to do with it now that it's completed? Also, any chance they'll do this mod for willing payers?
Indeed, if they wanted to just build it for a straight line im sure they could have gotten that up to 1500 easily, but it wouldn't be as friendly on the street.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure they'll do it for you if you have the money, but that would be a lot of money.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the NISMO juke because it came from Nissan proper, not just some tuning house ;)
True enough, but I find both interesting for the same reasons. Just taking something normal, and making it crazy fast.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Maybe Nissan will do something with the Qashqai for their Europe market since it's more popular there than anywhere else. doubt it'll be a GT-R engine uinder the hood but maybe a more sporty version?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Saw a Juke NISMO around town the other day. There weren't many of them made so I feel a bit lucky to have actually spotted one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts