Nissan Rogue Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will going down a tire size damage the qashqai? Heard that it's supposed to increase deep snow traction and they're cheaper.
how would I go about selecting a set of smaller tires?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure how you go about minus sizing for winter tires as I usually go with generic Michelin ones.

Found this on a tire site so it could be useful.

Traditional Minus Sizing
By using traditional Plus Sizing techniques in reverse, combining taller profile tires with smaller diameter wheels. For example, a 2011 Kia Forte Koupe would have an original 215/45HR17-sized tires in favor of a Minus One 205/55R16-size on 16″ wheels (where the wheel diameter is 1″ smaller and the tire’s sidewalls are ¾” taller) or Minus Two 195/65R15-size on 15″ wheels (where the wheel diameter is 2″ smaller and the tire’s sidewalls are 1″ taller).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why over inflate them? Thought you were supposed to keep them at the manufacturer recommended pressure?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Higher inflation pressures could provide an improvement in steering response and cornering stability but this is only up to a certain point and is usually seen on track and if you accidentally over inflate it too much you can damage your tires more easily when riding over potholes or debris on the road. Better to stick with the manufacturer recommended psi.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Higher inflation pressures could provide an improvement in steering response and cornering stability but this is only up to a certain point and is usually seen on track and if you accidentally over inflate it too much you can damage your tires more easily when riding over potholes or debris on the road. Better to stick with the manufacturer recommended psi.
good point, it will probably contribute to faster wear since weight isn't' as evenly spread throughout the tire as with OEM pressures.

Overall though, with just winter tires to OEM pressure spec you're FAR better off than those running all seasons, especially during deep freezes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All season ires are fine if you don't get a lot of snow but a winter set will always beat out a 4 season set.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's always better and safer to have a set of winter tires. I got into a few accidents driving all season tires in winter, so I don't want to take risks anymore.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It's always better and safer to have a set of winter tires. I got into a few accidents driving all season tires in winter, so I don't want to take risks anymore.
All Seasons can be fine it just depends on a number of factors; road conditions, temperature, tire model, tire pressure, the list goes on. Point is under the right conditions you can get away with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree, but in my case where I live, you just can't drive without a set of winter tires... Winters here are pretty tough.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Every year is the same, the first snow falls and everyone panics with last minute tire changes. I assume even the cheapest set of winter tires could still handle better than a set of all seasons in the snow. So the exact brand is really up to you, though some are better than others.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Every year is the same, the first snow falls and everyone panics with last minute tire changes. I assume even the cheapest set of winter tires could still handle better than a set of all seasons in the snow. So the exact brand is really up to you, though some are better than others.

No doubt that even cheap winter tires better than all-seasons, but sometimes it's just a waste of money because after the first winter season they will be worn out.

·
Registered
363 Posts
No doubt that even cheap winter tires better than all-seasons, but sometimes it's just a waste of money because after the first winter season they will be worn out.
In that case you have to ask how important your safety is to you because $600 spent now on just winter tires can save you thousands and weeks from taking care of your medical needs. So you can see that as a small fee to better ensure your safety.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Excellent posts and replies! Absolutely get winter tires if your driving conditions warrant it! I did so for the first time on my 05' Focus last yr. Needed to buy extra rims (Used $100) and Michelin X-Ice's from DTD. (With the rebates from 3 different sources, very, very reasonably $.) Should have done sooner. Well-worth the piece of mind and the extra measure of safety it provides. (ALSO, consider going slightly narrower width but keeping diameter/load ratings very close.) BTW...the Michelin's IMO (and I haven't driven on other winter tire brands) are superb.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail tires? Mine has the OEM Yoke (JOKE?) GeoLander G055 on them and no real traction or handling on wet, ice, snow, or slush. The reviews I'm seeing on these are pretty good and they really seem to be an excellent TPSF rated tire, with great handling on dry roads and a decent ride. Price is pretty well within my budget and they even have the size I need (215/65/16 on steel wheels for my model S AWD).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts